postscript octave plots display incorrectly?

From: Kent Lundberg
Subject: postscript octave plots display incorrectly?
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 22:39:22 -0400

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or something I'm doing wrong, but I'm
having trouble with postscript plots from octave displaying incorrectly.
Here's the command:

semilogy(year(1:13),erbw(1:13),"*;;",x,10.^(p(1)*x+p(2)),"-;;")

Which displays exactly as I expect to the x11 screen.  However, if I

gset term postscript eps "Helvetica" 20
gset output 'figures/eq-yrbw.eps'
semilogy(year(1:13),erbw(1:13),"*;;",x,10.^(p(1)*x+p(2)),"-;;")

The produced postscript file has little circles instead of asterisks, and
the line is dashed.

Furthermore, if I translate the produced postscript file into pdf with
epstopdf v2.7, the dashed line disappears! I'm trying to produce both
postscript and PDF versions of my document using latex and pdflatex with
the graphicx package, which is why I want both ps and pdf versions of my
figures.  I can put demonstration files on my website, if that would help.

I'm running SuSE Linux, Octave 2.1.36, Gnuplot 3.7.

Thanks in advance,

--> Kent Lundberg.