Re: postscript octave plots display incorrectly?

From: Kent Lundberg
Subject: Re: postscript octave plots display incorrectly?
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 18:50:37 -0400

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 00:15:43 -0600 (MDT)
"Dmitri A. Sergatskov" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > having trouble with postscript plots from octave displaying
> > incorrectly. Here's the command:
> >
> > semilogy(year(1:13),erbw(1:13),"*;;",x,10.^(p(1)*x+p(2)),"-;;")
> >
> > Furthermore, if I translate the produced postscript file into pdf with
> > epstopdf v2.7, the dashed line disappears! I'm trying to produce both
> > postscript and PDF versions of my document using latex and pdflatex
> > with the graphicx package, which is why I want both ps and pdf
> > versions of my figures.  I can put demonstration files on my website,
> > if that would help.
>
> I cannot reproduce that -- dashed line in ps stays dashed in pdf.
> I am using older epstopdf (2.5) which comes with RedHat 7.3
> (tetex-1.0.7-47 rpm package).

Upon closer examination, I may have found part of the problem:  For me,
the above semilogy command causes gnuplot to create postscript file that
has *two* "showpage" commands in it.  For some reason this confuses
epstopdf, but it does not seem to bother dvips.

If I manually edit the eps file, and remove the first showpage (but not
the second), I no longer have the disappearing line problem with pdflatex.

Thanks for all your help!

--> Kent.