plot3 limitation

From: jfl
Subject: plot3 limitation
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:03:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All,

I am trying to simultaneously plot an interpolated surface
with the original data points.

In Matlab, one can do this:

mesh(XX,YY,ZZ), hold on
plot3(x,y,z,'o'), hold off

You will see a surface with points showing if the point is
in front of the surface in the view.

If one tried this in octave, and get this message:

"Notice: Cannot remove hidden lines from non grid data"

Here is a line example of the problem so you can easily
see the message.  Note that plot3 is from matcompat.

x = [0:0.05:5];
y = cos(2*pi*x);
z = sin(2*pi*x);
gset nohidden3d
plot3(x,y,z,'o')
gset hidden3d
plot3(x,y,z,'o')

I am not sure where the "Notice:" message comes from since grep on
octave sources did not reveal anything, perhaps GNUPLOT?

I have gone into mesh and commented out "gset hidden3d" but this is
not really the preferred solution.

Does anyone know if there is a script that solves this?

The versions in use are shown below.

GNU Octave, version 2.1.36 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)  (Note:with a few patches)

with tkoctave 0.3.0
with matcompat-2001.02.25
with    G N U P L O T
        Linux version 3.7
        patchlevel 1
        last modified Fri Oct 22 18:00:00 BST 1999