Re: postscript octave plots display incorrectly?

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: postscript octave plots display incorrectly?
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 00:15:43 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Kent Lundberg wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is a bug, or something I'm doing wrong, but I'm

This is not a bug, this is a gnuplot "feature" -- the graph appearance
depends on selected terminal. Gnuplot is not a WYSIWYG program.

> having trouble with postscript plots from octave displaying incorrectly.
> Here's the command:
>
> semilogy(year(1:13),erbw(1:13),"*;;",x,10.^(p(1)*x+p(2)),"-;;")
>
> Which displays exactly as I expect to the x11 screen.  However, if I
>
> gset term postscript eps "Helvetica" 20

try

gset term post eps solid "Helvetica" 20

(you may also want to add "mono" explicitly, though it is a default)

> gset output 'figures/eq-yrbw.eps'
> semilogy(year(1:13),erbw(1:13),"*;;",x,10.^(p(1)*x+p(2)),"-;;")

try "13;;" instead of "*;;"

> The produced postscript file has little circles instead of asterisks, and
> the line is dashed.

Because "dashed" is a default option for postscript terminal.

> Furthermore, if I translate the produced postscript file into pdf with
> epstopdf v2.7, the dashed line disappears! I'm trying to produce both
> postscript and PDF versions of my document using latex and pdflatex with
> the graphicx package, which is why I want both ps and pdf versions of my
> figures.  I can put demonstration files on my website, if that would help.

I cannot reproduce that -- dashed line in ps stays dashed in pdf.
I am using older epstopdf (2.5) which comes with RedHat 7.3 (tetex-1.0.7-47
rpm package).

> I'm running SuSE Linux, Octave 2.1.36, Gnuplot 3.7.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --> Kent Lundberg.

Sincerely,

Dmitri.