Re: postscript octave plots display incorrectly?

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: postscript octave plots display incorrectly?
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 00:22:06 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Kent Lundberg wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 23:25:31 -0400 (EDT)
> Shengchao Li <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I use dvips to convert .dvi files into .ps files, then use ps2pdf to
> > convert .ps files into .pdf files. There is no problem so far.
>
> The problem with this method is that it produces PDF files with Type 3
> bitmapped fonts, which don't scale well on the screen, and only print at
> 300dpi.  Using pdflatex automatically forces the use of Type 1 scaleable
> fonts, which look much better.  I know that dvips can be coaxed into using
> type 1 fonts, but that's the hard way.

Though I do agree that pdflatex has advantages over dvips / ps2pdf route
(for one thing it can make clickable links in pdf), it is not that
hard to force dvips to use type1 font. All you have to do is change in
the file:
/usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/updmap

The line
type1_default=false

type1_default=true

And then re-run /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/updmap

(The path might be different in SuSe like /usr/lib/tex/texmf...)

> Thanks,
>
> --> Kent.

Sincerely,

Dmitri.