Re: Linking ATLAS with Octave

From: Johan Kullstam
Subject: Re: Linking ATLAS with Octave
Date: 16 Aug 2001 07:01:20 -0400

Przemek Klosowski <address@hidden> writes:

>    > Compiling Atlas is said to be somewhat tricky.
>
>    It's not tricky, but it will take a long time and it will be very
>    optimized for an exact configuration.
>
>    I'd love for a shared, non-optimized version to be available... thus
>    we could ship a version working everywhere, and the local sysadmin
>    could recompile it for his machines, optimized for them if needed.
>
> Rather than one non-optimized Atlas, I think it'd be better to do what
> both Matlab and Dirk/Debian do: provide several libs, appropriate for
> major platform choices, with run-time selection of the default one,
> overridable by environment/cmdline. My suggestion for the libraries
> would be:
>       Athlon w/o 3DNow
>       PII
>       PPro
>       PIII
>       P4 with SIMD, yeay
>       Athlon with 3DNow

there are three ppros - L2 cache of 256k, 512k, and 1M.  you will want
different ATLAS for each of them.  now, the ppro is getting long in
the tooth, but there are iirc multiple xeons and piii katmai and piii
coppermine are very different.

> I believe that Matlab ships first four cases (I am not sure whether
> they use 3DNow in Athlon). I am not sure why they split PII and
> PPro---the main difference is cache, IIRC).

> I wonder how Debian set up BLAS libs for dynamic linking; I think the
> default is a static link. Is that a simple makefile setting, or
> a patch?

J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
address@hidden
Don't Fear the Penguin!