Re: Octave Web GUI

From: Prasanth A. Kumar
Subject: Re: Octave Web GUI
Date: 26 Jun 2000 08:20:15 -0700

David Doolin <address@hidden> writes:

> In message <address@hidden>, John Verzani writes:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I've written a PERL/CGI/OCTAVE interface and can gladly share the code
>
> You guys are doing great work!
>
> Since you and Tom are both interested in distributed computing for
> numerical linear algebra, you both may be interested in ongoing
> work at netlib on this topic:

<snip>

So is there an active effort with Octave to support distributed
computing?! Some people and I had in our school had hooked together a
dozen salvaged Pentium systems together in order to play with a
"beowulf cluster." Making it all work was a learning experience but
the only practical use we got out of it was parallel povray. So we got
to thinking of converting some useful program into using parallel
processing (using pvm or mpi?)

My original idea was to convert spice to solve using parallel
processing but I looked at the spice 3f4 source code and there is not
a *single* comment in any of those source code files(!) nor am I yet
an expert in circuit analysis.

So my second idea was to modify Octave to use one of the pre-existing
parallel processing matrix math libraries. I haven't gotten much
beyond getting familiar with the Octave code yet though so would be
interested in joining any existing effort.

--
Prasanth Kumar
address@hidden