Re: speeding up Octave development (was: Re: m-code)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: speeding up Octave development (was: Re: m-code)
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 00:57:16 -0600 (CST)

On  6-Mar-1999, Rafael Laboissiere <address@hidden> wrote:

| Once people realize that there is a better alternative to Matlab, two
| things may happen: eventually the institutions will accept giving part of
| the money formerly spent on licenses to Octave funding, and, more
| important, the users base will increase a lot, making possible to ignite a
| bazaar-like mode of development.  For that, setting up the COAN
| (Comprehensive Octave Archive Network) would be more than welcome.

I agree that it would be good to have a well-organized archive of
contributed functions.  The one that was maintained by Oscar Márquez
was a nice start, but it seems to have disappeared without a trace.

If you want it to happen, you are going to have to get together and do
it yourselves.  I might be able to host it, but I don't have time to
set up and maintain an archive myself.

jwe