Re: speeding up Octave development (was: Re: m-code)

From: Rafael Laboissiere
Subject: Re: speeding up Octave development (was: Re: m-code)
Date: 06 Mar 1999 10:18:38 +0100

    JWE> I appreciate the offers of personal donations, but I too wonder
    JWE> whether that would be sufficient or sustainable.

I am also very skeptical with regards to personal donations.  Although I am
not a "starving student" anymore, I have a family and would spend my
personal money with them.  Besides, as JWE mentions, sustainability is a
real issue.

    JWE> How much does your organization pay for software every year?
    JWE> Would it be possible to allocate some small percentage of that to
    JWE> Octave development so that you could fund a small proposal?

I think we should really go to institutional support.  The Mathworks has
been monopolizing a million $ market for years.  In my lab, we pay at least
$2000 a year for the Matlab license (this is nothing, compared with other
institutions).  I am trying hard to convince people here to switch to
Octave (about 30 users).  It is difficult because they are very committed
with Matlab graphics.  This is why I am supporting Joao Cardoso's
initiative by packaging PLplot_octave for the Debian system.

I think that we should really try hard to spread the Octave gospel ;-).
Once people realize that there is a better alternative to Matlab, two
things may happen: eventually the institutions will accept giving part of
the money formerly spent on licenses to Octave funding, and, more
important, the users base will increase a lot, making possible to ignite a
bazaar-like mode of development.  For that, setting up the COAN
(Comprehensive Octave Archive Network) would be more than welcome.

I apologize for the long rant.  I have been wanting to say all that since a
long time.

--
Rafael Laboissiere
Institut de la Communication Parlee | Email: address@hidden