Re: speeding up Octave development (was: Re: m-code)

From: heberf
Subject: Re: speeding up Octave development (was: Re: m-code)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:06:36 -0600 (CST)

Several good points are being brought up here.  The example of R is
particularly
interesting.  The main thing to notice is that Octave has several parts:

        1. Octave interpretter
        2. Functions (statistical, signal processing, ODE solvers, etc)

So far most work in both areas has been done by JWE (with several notable
exeptions like the work of Kurt Hornik and others).  Octave is approaching the
point where that is no longer feasible.  I recommend that we select people to
head up groups of function classes.  Please note that these people will not
have
to be "hackers", just people who are competent in that field. By the way I
think
these people ought to be in charge of the info pages for their toolbox as well
(thus addressing Thomas Hoffmann's question).  We should probably think about
several mailing lists or bug lists as well.  John has to answer some questions
that he really shouldn't have to bother with.

John's point about the need for hackers and the fact that we are unlikely to
attract such people to help develop the code is probably correct but I think it
applies to 1 rather than 2.  My C++ is pretty poor but I could tell an m-file
or
.oct file that does time series statistics well from one that does it poorly.
Similarly for those of you in other fields.  So let's not put all the Octave
sources in a CVS tree.  Just the functions (and documentation?).

As far as the interpretter goes it will still probably be mostly JWE so we need
to listen to what he says about funding.  The interpretter is the heart of it
after all.

Here is a question for JWE.  Many of us have some amout of control over how
research money is spent in our department or company.   But before we can write
a check we need something to tell the account payable people.  How do you
recommend we do that?  Could we call it support or consulting or something?  My
university is good about giving me research money but I need a purchase order
or
something like that.  I recall reading that the guys working on GNOME get money
by supporting gnumeric or other things.  If you had a bill you could send me
for
support I could send $X your way.