text and numbers

From: Huaiyu Zhu
Subject: text and numbers
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:27:36 -0800 (PST)

What's the best way to input text and data from the same file?

This does not work:

data = [
'name1' 12 34
'name2' 56 78
];

I want to input a structure that has both text and numbers, and then
separate out submatrices.  Of course I can use perl and friends to
separate them into two files and input them separately, but that
introduces consistency issues.

I remember asking this question about matlab once, but can't locate the
answer now.  Is octave behaving similarly to matlab in this regard?

Thanks.

Huaiyu

--
Huaiyu Zhu                      Tel: 208 885 2928
Division of Statistics          Fax: 208 885 7959