guix-devel

Re: Updating minetest to 5.6.0?

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Updating minetest to 5.6.0?
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 20:18:34 +0200

On 16-09-2022 19:57, Jan Wielkiewicz wrote:
Last one question before sending the patches: I'm adding a minetest game called Exile and it uses a mod called naturalslopeslib. I packaged both of them but Exile expects the lib to be installed in "/.guix-profile/share/minetest/games/exile/mods/naturalslopeslib/". Should I add the mod as a propagated-input of Exile or should I directly copy/link the lib into Exile's tree (if so, how do I go about that)?

How about modifying minetest-exile's phases to add a symlink in
#$output /share/minetest/games/exile/mods/naturalslopeslib
pointing to #$(this-package-input "minetest-naturalslopeslib")?

(I don't know how to do that with copy-build-system though, does that build system support phases? I was thinking of a post-install phase or a post-unpack)

(Also I don't know if Minetest allows symlinks inside mods)

That way:

  * it doesn't have to be propagated (so naturalslopeslib only appears
    in the (non-game) mod if the user actually asked to install the Guix
    package, and not as a consequence of installing something else

  * by using a symlink instead of a copy, a little space, network IO,
    disk IO and build time is saved, e.g. when the user installs both
    minetest-exile and minetest-naturalslopeslib

I think it would be feasible to write a 'minetest-game-build-system' to mostly automatically do such things, but currently such a thing does not exist yet.

Greetings,
Maxime.