guix-devel

Re: Updating minetest to 5.6.0?

From: Jan Wielkiewicz
Subject: Re: Updating minetest to 5.6.0?
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 19:57:20 +0200

On 16.09.2022 10:59, Maxime Devos wrote:

On 16-09-2022 00:45, Jan wrote:
The minetest-mod-build-system has some (very basic) tests for testing
that the mods at least load with the new Minetest.
About that, I can never see mods installed with Guix in Minetest. Is the build system really working as intended? I'm running the latest Guix. Am I missing something? I don't see the mods on the current version nor the latest I packaged.

Seems to work over here:

$ guix shell --pure minetest minetest-mesecons
[ in the GUI: ‘Select Mods’ ]
[ GUI: ]
+ mesecons
+ Minetest Game mods

[ in the GUI: select +mesecons ]
[ ...]

Make sure to install Minetest and its mods in the same profile, and to log out and in again if it's not done with "guix shell" or "guix environment --ad-hoc" but with "guix home" or "guix install", such that Guix can set appropriate environment variables (MINETEST_MOD_PATH).

I tried installing a mod by force installing it into "share/minetest/mods/modname" using the copy-build-system just like mineclone2 is installed, but it doesn't work this way.

minetest-mod-build-system does this too, in 'mod-install-plan'

Greetings,
Maxime.

Thanks, it works now.
I made a mistake and installed it from "guix shell -D guix --pure". Now that I installed it from my profile, both mods and games are visible in Minetest without a reboot. I also did a quick check and mods appear to work.

Last one question before sending the patches: I'm adding a minetest game called Exile and it uses a mod called naturalslopeslib. I packaged both of them but Exile expects the lib to be installed in "/.guix-profile/share/minetest/games/exile/mods/naturalslopeslib/". Should I add the mod as a propagated-input of Exile or should I directly copy/link the lib into Exile's tree (if so, how do I go about that)? Users can easily download naturalslopeslib through Guix and enable it in the game's GUI but some may expect the dependency to be already there. My Exile package uses copy-build-system just like mineclone2.

Jan Wielkiewicz