guix-devel

Re: Arun Isaac Presentation on guix-forge this Saturday

From: Olivier Dion
Subject: Re: Arun Isaac Presentation on guix-forge this Saturday
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 11:13:23 -0400

On Thu, 26 May 2022, Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> wrote:
>> Tell me, does Laminar check for channels update like cuirass?  The main
>> feature I like about cuirass is that if any dependencies of a package is
>> updated, it will rebuild my package.  If it does support that, I will
>> seriously consider switching to guix-forge for my project.

> it should be possible to set up something that runs `laminarc queue
> <job-name>' on dependency changes.

Right.  It's just a matter of checking how cuirass does it and do the
same in guix-forge.

> Laminar stands out from other CI systems in that it is not a monolith
> and is very easy to interface with external tools. So, I was able to
> write up Guix system configuration to do it. But, if Cuirass can provide
> smoother integration with Guix, I'm more than happy to switch. The main
> blocker is the postgres database.

Right.  Postgresql makes sens for huge CI like ci.guix.gnu.org I guess.
However it would indeed be nice to have the option to select sqlite as
the DBMS.  For the Guile portion that should be trivial I think.  The
difficult part is probably within the SQL schema, if Postgresql'
extensions were used.  Maybe the solution would be to use a
object-relational mapper and generate the schemas on the fly depending
on the DBMS.  I think that `guile-dbi` does just that.

To continue :-)

Regards,
old

--