guix-devel

Re: Arun Isaac Presentation on guix-forge this Saturday

From: Olivier Dion
Subject: Re: Arun Isaac Presentation on guix-forge this Saturday
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 15:41:30 -0400

On Thu, 26 May 2022, Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
>> Quick question about guix-forge.  Why laminar instead of cuirass as
>> the CI?
>
> Two reasons:
>
> - Cuirass requires a PostgreSQL database, but I wanted guix-forge to be
>   as stateless as possible and definitely not require a complex database
>   server like PostgreSQL. Laminar just uses sqlite.

Right.  This is something that's also bothering me.  I wonder how hard
it would be to select the database used by cuirass at runtime.

> - Laminar is very minimal and easy to deploy. Long back when I tried
>   cuirass, I couldn't really figure out how to run it for general
>   purpose CI. Maybe, the manual has improved since then, but I haven't
>   checked.

I did found the manual to be lacking.  I'm using it just to re-compile
my local package though so it's enough.

Tell me, does Laminar check for channels update like cuirass?  The main
feature I like about cuirass is that if any dependencies of a package is
updated, it will rebuild my package.  If it does support that, I will
seriously consider switching to guix-forge for my project.

--
Olivier Dion
oldiob.dev