guix-devel

Re: Arun Isaac Presentation on guix-forge this Saturday

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: Arun Isaac Presentation on guix-forge this Saturday
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 12:47:31 +0530

Hi all,

Thanks for giving me this opportunity to present guix-forge. In
particular, I wish to thank both jgart and Pjotr. guix-forge owes its
existence to their encouragement.

guix-forge is a Guix service that, ambitiously, tries to reproduce a
sourcehut, GitHub or GitLab like code forge, but using only
off-the-shelf components like cgit, laminar, public-inbox, etc. The idea
is to enable users to write a few lines of Guix operating-system
configuration code, and have an entire code forge deployed and
ready. guix-forge is similar to projects like FreedomBox, YunoHost and
Mail-in-a-Box, but for code forges and built on the rock-solid
foundation that is Guix.

For now, only the laminar CI feature is in place. In the presentation, I
will show a setup of laminar CI with guix-forge. On every git commit to
a project repo, the CI will
- automatically run tests for the project
- build and deploy a static project website

If you would like to take a sneak peek of a guix-forge configuration,
there is a simple example in the Tutorial section of the manual at
https://guix-forge.systemreboot.net/manual/dev/en/

For a more complex real world configuration that, among other things,
does continuous deployment of a web service, you can look at the
guix-forge configuration for genenetwork.org at
https://git.genenetwork.org/arunisaac/genenetwork-machines . The Laminar
CI deployed by this configuration is at https://ci.genenetwork.org/

Thanks,
Arun