guix-devel

Re: Cuirass and SQL

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: Cuirass and SQL
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 00:42:38 +0530

Hi Ludo,

> Years before, Hydra (https://nixos.org/hydra) also dropped its SQLite
> backend in favor of PostgreSQL only.
>
> Like you, not being a database person, I liked that SQLite was easy to
> deploy and had a clear model: it just touches this one file and that’s
> it.

Exactly! :-)

If we use guile-dbi, it should be possible to support both sqlite and
postgresql. Popular projects like Nextcloud do allow the user to choose
their preferred database system. But, then again, Cuirass is built for
very large scale. So, perhaps it is best to not try and also cover the
small scale end.

> SQLite may be good enough at a small scale; the problem is that you
> never know how long it’ll be before the project you’re hosting is no
> longer small-scale.

Scale may not be an issue at least for the CI. Unlike Guix which needs
to rebuild the entire world of software, most other software are only
going to have a handful of jobs---easily less than 5 or less than 10 in
the worst case. So, even if we trigger all these jobs on every commit,
the total number of runs will easily be manageable with sqlite.

Regards,
Arun