guix-devel

Re: Cuirass and SQL

From: Olivier Dion
Subject: Re: Cuirass and SQL
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 11:02:35 -0400

On Fri, 27 May 2022, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> Initially, Cuirass was using SQLite but then switched [1] to
> PostgreSQL.  The main reason is scalability.

Make sens for the main CI used by Guix or for an organization.

> I do not know if it is a technically doable to have two SQL backends and
> let the user pick the one they prefer.  For sure, it is not doable from
> a maintenance point of view.

With guile-dbi, the maintenance is trivial.

> About the complexity of PostgreSQL, I think the Guix services [2,3]
> help here.

This is what I did.  I have a local CI as a service that build my
projects at every new commits on a specific branch.  It works, but I
feel thing would have been easier to setup with SQLite.  It could had
been a guix-home service for example instead of a system service and
testing the configuration is much easier with a scratch DB.

--
Olivier Dion
oldiob.dev