guix-devel

Re: Create branch for Haskell build changes and updates?

From: John Kehayias
Subject: Re: Create branch for Haskell build changes and updates?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 18:45:17 +0000

Hi Ricardo,

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Friday, July 9th, 2021 at 12:44 PM, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> > I'm pretty confident my build system patch
> >
> > https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49199 works well as far as I've
> >
> > tested it. However, for things like GHC, that would require a
> >
> > lot of compile time and package updates everywhere I think, and
> >
> > I personally don't have the resources/time to do that.
>
> I could branch wip-haskell off of core-updates and apply that
>
> patch, then add a build farm job for wip-haskell.
>
> Would that help?

At least for me that would be very nice as it would confirm if that patch is
ready for core-updates. And that would help with including/updating some
packages that have non-trivial configure.

As for the other large updates, like GHC and updating core packages, I will let
others speak to. But with a separate branch we could start with getting GHC
8.10.x built and moving packages to newer stackage resolvers (lts 17 or 18?).

Thanks,
John