guix-devel

Re: Create branch for Haskell build changes and updates?

From: John Kehayias
Subject: Re: Create branch for Haskell build changes and updates?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 15:21:12 +0000

On Friday, July 9th, 2021 at 10:06 AM, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Sorry, not this time :)
>
> I suggest just starting a new branch. It doesn’t really need to
>
> be hosted in the main repo at this point, but if you have some
>
> initial patches that you’d like me to push to wip-haskell feel
>
> free to send them.

Hi Ricardo,

Yes, we could have a repo anywhere, but what (at least) I was getting at was
having some CI support to build Haskell packages to find any breakage. Even
without being on the main repo could we do that? Changes I've made locally and
packages I've tried to add (which might need version bumps of others) lead to a
ton of compile time.

I'm pretty confident my build system patch https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49199
works well as far as I've tested it. However, for things like GHC, that would
require a lot of compile time and package updates everywhere I think, and I
personally don't have the resources/time to do that.

We could at least get a mirror from core-updates(?) to base off of and add some
patches for individual testing. Maybe anyone who wants to lead a GHC update can
weigh in on resources needed to make it doable (as that I would imagine needs
the most time to do)?

John