guix-devel

Re: GNU Guix 1.4.0 in September? (was: Re: GNU Guix 1.3.0 released)

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: GNU Guix 1.4.0 in September? (was: Re: GNU Guix 1.3.0 released)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 14:55:39 +0200

Hi Maxim,

>> Note also that we were “only” 3 weeks late thanks to the hard work of
>> zimoun and Leo early on keeping track of everything that needed to be
>> addressed.  If someone wants to propose a date for the next release and
>> take responsibility as “release keeper”, we’ll all welcome that!
>
> Yes, thank you Simon and Leo for the help with the release!  I felt less
> lonely :-).  I've learned that producing a release can easily take 2-3
> weeks even in good conditions (e.g., not many blockers to fix).  I'd
> suggest anyone (myself included :-)) trying to meet the schedule to
> seriously start trying to put out RCs a month before the planned release
> date.

Thank you!  And thanks to all the people involved. :-)

For what it is worth, the anniversary dates seems good targets as
release dates:

 - April, 18th (init commit)
 - November, 23rd (first announce)

Do you plan to keep a Release Bug open with all the blocking bugs?  Does
it help?  If yes, does it make sense to start now to add some or only ~2
months before the target?

> Perhaps we can aim for the next release mid-September (core-updates).
> I'm not too sure of the status of core-updates right now, but last time
> I worked on it was in a rather good state.

I remember a plot sent to guix-maintaainers about the number of grafts,
the core-updates merges and the release dates.  I am not sure it is
really interesting and it is worth to resend it, or maybe dumping the
Cuirass database to investigate a bit more.  Well, my point is the
core-updates merges and the release dates should be synchronized; say
target the core-updates for end of September, then the release for
November.  To me, this synchronisation makes senses because it
constraints the ~6months core-updates cycle and in the same time, the 2
releases per year.

Cheers,
simon