guix-devel

Re: GNU Guix 1.4.0 in September?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: GNU Guix 1.4.0 in September?
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 16:34:28 -0400

Hi Simon,

> Hi Maxim,
>
>>> Note also that we were “only” 3 weeks late thanks to the hard work of
>>> zimoun and Leo early on keeping track of everything that needed to be
>>> addressed.  If someone wants to propose a date for the next release and
>>> take responsibility as “release keeper”, we’ll all welcome that!
>>
>> Yes, thank you Simon and Leo for the help with the release!  I felt less
>> lonely :-).  I've learned that producing a release can easily take 2-3
>> weeks even in good conditions (e.g., not many blockers to fix).  I'd
>> suggest anyone (myself included :-)) trying to meet the schedule to
>> seriously start trying to put out RCs a month before the planned release
>> date.
>
> Thank you!  And thanks to all the people involved. :-)
>
> For what it is worth, the anniversary dates seems good targets as
> release dates:
>
>  - April, 18th (init commit)
>  - November, 23rd (first announce)

Sounds good, if perhaps a bit too far?

> Do you plan to keep a Release Bug open with all the blocking bugs?  Does
> it help?  If yes, does it make sense to start now to add some or only ~2
> months before the target?

I think we can flag them as 'important' to start, and as the release
approach, we can add them as blocking if they haven't yet been fixed.
No strong feelings either way though.

>> Perhaps we can aim for the next release mid-September (core-updates).
>> I'm not too sure of the status of core-updates right now, but last time
>> I worked on it was in a rather good state.
>
> I remember a plot sent to guix-maintaainers about the number of grafts,
> the core-updates merges and the release dates.  I am not sure it is
> really interesting and it is worth to resend it, or maybe dumping the
> Cuirass database to investigate a bit more.

Perhaps I failed to see a trend or something, but I don't remember
coming out with a clearer insight about what we should change or adjust
from looking at those graphs.  Had I missed something?

> Well, my point is the core-updates merges and the release dates should
> be synchronized; say target the core-updates for end of September,
> then the release for November.  To me, this synchronisation makes
> senses because it constraints the ~6months core-updates cycle and in
> the same time, the 2 releases per year.

Makes sense, let's aim to do that!

Thanks,

Maxim