guix-devel

GNU Guix 1.4.0 in September? (was: Re: GNU Guix 1.3.0 released)

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: GNU Guix 1.4.0 in September? (was: Re: GNU Guix 1.3.0 released)
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 09:18:13 -0400

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> We are pleased to announce the release of GNU Guix 1.3.0!
>
> Yay, congrats everyone!
>
> Kudos Maxim for taking responsibility for the whole process!  Now you
> know what can be improved :-) and I’m interested in helping make the
> process smoother.

Thanks :-).  It was nice to have the backing of the bug fixing squad and
your generous contributions in the release material write-up.  Thanks to
Julien Lepiller for their help and availability w.r.t. the translations.

> There’s no rush, but we can already start thinking about who’s turn is
> next.  It’s great if it’s you, Maxim, but if another experienced hacker
> is interested, please make yourself known!

I wouldn't mind to do it again; twice in a row seems like it may be a
bit fresh in my mind and enable me to do more refinements to the build
system.  I'd also be happy to mentor someone else to try their hand at
it.  I feel like rotation improves our processes, especially w.r.t. to
its documentation.

> Note also that we were “only” 3 weeks late thanks to the hard work of
> zimoun and Leo early on keeping track of everything that needed to be
> addressed.  If someone wants to propose a date for the next release and
> take responsibility as “release keeper”, we’ll all welcome that!

Yes, thank you Simon and Leo for the help with the release!  I felt less
lonely :-).  I've learned that producing a release can easily take 2-3
weeks even in good conditions (e.g., not many blockers to fix).  I'd
suggest anyone (myself included :-)) trying to meet the schedule to
seriously start trying to put out RCs a month before the planned release
date.

Perhaps we can aim for the next release mid-September (core-updates).
I'm not too sure of the status of core-updates right now, but last time
I worked on it was in a rather good state.

Thanks,

Maxim