guix-devel

Re: What’s next?

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: What’s next?
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 07:43:42 +0200

Hi Chris,

>> - File search.
>>
>>   (I did work on it a year ago, it's stuck, would need help from people
>>   familiar with Cuirass.)
>
> That sounds interesting.  What does it mean?  Would it help me figure
> out which commands come from which package?

Yes, and more ;)

> A feature I remember being cool they had enabled by default on Ubuntu
> back in the day was:
>
>   $ crawl-tiles
>   Not found.  Maybe "sudo apt-get install crawl-tiles"?
>
> So for us:
>
>   $ crawl-tiles
>   Not found.  Maybe "guix package -i crawl-tiles"?

Guix file-search can do that, but it wouldn't be limited to executables,
it would work for any file.

So `guix filesearch myimage.png`
would return a list of matches:

emacs-myimage-mode:out  share/assets/myimage.png
some-game:assets  share/some-game/subfolder/myimage.png

It works by crawling the files and maintaining a database.

The work-in-progress on the wip-filesearch branch works for locally
built packages.  It's obviously very limited, the next thing we need to
do is sync the database from substitute servers.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/