guix-devel

Re: merge wip-haskell?

From: John Soo
Subject: Re: merge wip-haskell?
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 08:12:36 -0700

Hi Jakub,

I could see splitting the static output being useful but I would rather wait
until some evidence that the closure size would be too large. Also I’m not sure
propagation is necessary for dependents to find libraries or use paths from an
input.

Thoughts?

John

On Aug 7, 2020, at 8:04 AM, Jakub Kądziołka <kuba@kadziolka.net> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 06, 2020 at 10:13:46AM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Number 4 is by far the ugliest change of them all.  In order to
> statically link packages we need to add all the “static” outputs of all
> Haskell inputs *and* the “static” outputs of *their* Haskell inputs.
> This is not easily accomplished, so I ended up using “package-closure”
> on all direct inputs, and then filtered the result to packages with
> names starting with “ghc-”.  If there was a more appropriate tool I’d
> use it, but I don’t think it exists.

Perhaps we should work on making propagated-inputs per-output? That way,
:static could propagate the :static output of the dependencies.

This would also be useful in other situations. For example, a package
might contain both a binary and a library, and the library must
propagate its dependencies to make the header files work.

I don't know what a good syntax for this would be.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Jakub Kądziołka