guix-devel

Re: merge wip-haskell?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: merge wip-haskell?
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2020 17:59:05 +0200

Jakub Kądziołka <kuba@kadziolka.net> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 07, 2020 at 08:12:36AM -0700, John Soo wrote:
>> I would rather wait until some evidence that the closure size would be too
>> large. Also I’m not sure propagation is necessary for dependents to find
>> libraries or use paths from an input.
>
> Ricardo already explained that this is indeed the case.

Yes, and for the case of pandoc it’s significant.  The closure of
ghc-pandoc is >3GiB right now and with the changes it’s <200MiB.  This
affects lots of R packages that need Rmarkdown, and lots of bioinfo
packages.

There's no doubt that moving the static libs to their own output has a
significant impact on closure size.

--
Ricardo