guix-devel

Re: merge wip-haskell?

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: merge wip-haskell?
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2020 13:46:56 -0400

Hi John and Ricardo,

John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu> writes:

> I believe there was also some work being done to de-duplicate flags
> sent to gcc sent by ghc (this was the only thing keeping stack from
> building).
> I hope that can make it in, too!

I agree, and sorry to you John for the delay.  I’m not using much
Haskell these days, so I’m having trouble keeping Haskell stuff on my
radar.  The last patch I sent to <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/39309> is
about as good as I can come up with, so I will apply it to the branch
before the merge.

Ricardo, I will try and do this tonight or tomorrow, and will look over
your changes then as well.

> If there is any way we can bump the default ghc to 8.8.x, that would
> be excellent, too.  I think something like that makes sense on staging
> though.

I would love for this to happen, but I think it would needlessly delay
Ricardo’s changes.  Fortunately, one can build all of our Haskell
packages overnight on a modest computer, so it’s no big deal to merge
the branch now and then merge the GHC 8.8.x updates whenever they’re
ready.

Also, it looks like “wip-haskell-updates” is no longer being built by
the CI infrastructure.  Since the branch triggers a rebuild of all the
Haskell packages, it should be built before merging, right?

-- Tim