guix-devel

Re: [ SPAM? ] Re: Collect guix profiles in single directory.

From: Leo Prikler
Subject: Re: [ SPAM? ] Re: Collect guix profiles in single directory.
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 21:08:02 +0100

Am Donnerstag, den 30.01.2020, 20:28 +0100 schrieb Pierre Neidhardt:
> Proposal:
>
> - Modify /etc/profile in Guix System to load everything in
> GUIX_PROFILE_DIR if
>   set.  If not set, fall back on ~/.guix-profile.
Sounds good, but you're missing ordering.  Specifically, if
GUIX_PROFILE_DIR is set, I'd want $GUIX_PROFILE_DIR/channels to contain
the channels, that currently live in ~/.config/guix/current, and this
profile's /etc/profile has to be sourced last if we want to have full
backwards compatibility.
By the way, how much would it bite us, if we don't enforce an ordering
here?  Would reverse alphabetical order suffice, so that channels are
at least always sourced after default and the user has to take care of
the rest?

> - When GUIX_PROFILE_DIR is set, use GUIX_PROFILE_DIR/default as the
>   fault.  Otherwise fall back to ~/.guix-profile if GUIX_PROFILE_DIR
> is
>   unset for backward compatibility.
s/fault/default/
Also:
- When GUIX_PROFILE_DIR is set, use GUIX_PROFILE_DIR/channels in `guix
pull', falling back to ~/.config/guix/current.
- When GUIX_PROFILE_DIR is set, read channels from
$GUIX_PROFILE_DIR/channels.scm, falling back to
~/.config/guix/channels.scm.
> - Add a "-P,--profile-name NAME" command line option that
> automatically derives
>   the profile path as $GUIX_PROFILE_DIR/$NAME.  This would make it
> easy
>   to deal with frequently-used profiles from command line, e.g.
>
>   guix install -P my-gimpy-profile gimp
Could we also make this accept absolute and relative paths (the latter
prefixed with ./) to deprecate `guix environment -r'?

> In the end, all the user needs to do to start using multiple profiles
> in
> a convenient manner is to export GUIX_PROFILE_DIR.
>
> I believe the above is fully backward compatible.  If there is no
> objection we can start working on a patch :)
Sounds good to me.