guix-devel

Re: Collect guix profiles in single directory.

From: Leo Prikler
Subject: Re: Collect guix profiles in single directory.
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 10:29:47 +0100

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 31.01.2020, 09:46 +0100 schrieb zimoun:
> Hi,
>
> I agree since we have discussed that at the Guix Days. :-)
> Thank you for reporting that fast.
>

> On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 at 08:59, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > 1. ~/.config/guix/current is special in that it's the channel of
> > Guix
> > and it's installed by "guix pull" unlike other channels.  Thus I
> > don't
> > think it belongs to GUIX_PROFILE_DIR.  That said, we could
> > introduce
> > another environment variable for those who want to move it
> > somewhere
> > else.
>
> This environment variable already exists: XDG_CONFIG_HOME, I guess.
> See 'config-directory' in utils.scm, used by pull.scm.
The thing with XDG_CONFIG_HOME and config-directory is, that it doesn't
allow me to set config-directory directly AND requires all other
configuration to be put in the new XDG_CONFIG_HOME as well.  I
personally wouldn't mind reading all profiles from config-directory,
but I would like a way to set that to ~/.guix.

> By time creation/modification?
mtime will cause weird bugs if you do single upgrades of profiles.
ctime may be acceptable, depending on how familiar one is with touch,
but I'd personally prefer reverse alphabetical because it is the
easiest to understand.

All the best,
Leo