guix-devel

Re: Collect guix profiles in single directory.

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Collect guix profiles in single directory.
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 20:28:46 +0100

Proposal:

- Modify /etc/profile in Guix System to load everything in GUIX_PROFILE_DIR if
  set.  If not set, fall back on ~/.guix-profile.

- When GUIX_PROFILE_DIR is set, use GUIX_PROFILE_DIR/default as the
  fault.  Otherwise fall back to ~/.guix-profile if GUIX_PROFILE_DIR is
  unset for backward compatibility.

- Add a "-P,--profile-name NAME" command line option that automatically derives
  the profile path as $GUIX_PROFILE_DIR/$NAME.  This would make it easy
  to deal with frequently-used profiles from command line, e.g.

  guix install -P my-gimpy-profile gimp

In the end, all the user needs to do to start using multiple profiles in
a convenient manner is to export GUIX_PROFILE_DIR.

I believe the above is fully backward compatible.  If there is no
objection we can start working on a patch :)

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/