guix-devel

Re: Collect guix profiles in single directory.

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Collect guix profiles in single directory.
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 23:52:50 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 21:08, Alex Griffin <address@hidden> wrote:

> I like the idea of collecting guix profiles in one place, and I also like the
> suggestion to not put it right in $HOME. However, I don't think profiles
> belong in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME, for the simple reason that they are not
> configuration. If you really want to follow the xdg basedir spec, they would
> go in $XDG_DATA_HOME (~/.local/share). Personally, I already keep my profiles
> in ~/.local/guix, which fits my brain well but is not xdg compliant either.

Yes, it make sense to me.

 + ~/.config/guix/current because it is configuration, somehow. Channels too.
 + ~/.local/share/guix for all the other user profiles

And I agree that ~/.local/guix fits better. :-)

But one could also argument that the profiles are configuration and
not data because they are sourced. Well, bikeshedding. ;-)

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

All the best,
simon