guix-devel

Re: [ SPAM? ] Re: Collect guix profiles in single directory.

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: [ SPAM? ] Re: Collect guix profiles in single directory.
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 09:46:25 +0100

Hi,

I agree since we have discussed that at the Guix Days. :-)
Thank you for reporting that fast.

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 at 08:59, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1. ~/.config/guix/current is special in that it's the channel of Guix
> and it's installed by "guix pull" unlike other channels.  Thus I don't
> think it belongs to GUIX_PROFILE_DIR.  That said, we could introduce
> another environment variable for those who want to move it somewhere
> else.

This environment variable already exists: XDG_CONFIG_HOME, I guess.
See 'config-directory' in utils.scm, used by pull.scm.

> 2. Indeed profiles should be loaded in a well known order.  I suggest to
> follow the C alphabetical order.  Should "default" be sourced before the
> rest?  Maybe not.  I suggest we leave it to the user at this point.

By time creation/modification?

In any case, this should be clearly documented. Because it is prone error.

All the best,
simon