Re: The Big Switch to Git

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: The Big Switch to Git
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:16:23 +0000

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> It would be nice to have workbook and guile-scripts as peers of
> guile-core, since that forms the minimal set to reproduce "cvs
> checkout hack" of yore.  (Basically, the cvs-module "hack"
> included only those three cvs-modules.)

I'm not aware that this "hack" collection has been doing anything for
us recently.  At least, it's true that guile-core does not currently
depend on workbook, as it did once.

I'm sure there is stuff in workbook and guile-scripts that is still
useful, but I prefer to import it lazily (and as and when it becomes a
priority).  That will also allow us to consider where each imported
item should go within the Git repository.

> Unrelated, i would request that guile-www be imported as well.
> This way, presuming there is interest, we can eventually merge in
> work on Guile-WWW that has been happening ttn-locally[0] for many
> years now.

Wouldn't it make sense for guile-www to be a separate Savannah
project?

In case this sounds like I'm singling out guile-www, I've actually
always had a problem understanding the structure and existence of the
Guile CVS modules other than guile-core - and I think the fact that
many of them are obsolete and/or bitrotted is a clue that this is a
problem in practice.

Regards,
      Neil