The Big Switch to Git

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: The Big Switch to Git
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:23:38 +0100

Hello,

Neil and I have agreed to switch from CVS to Git (a few others were
enthusiastic too).  Now we need to agree on the details.  :-)

Personally, I'm thinking about only importing `guile-core' for now (like
what Han-Wen did at http://repo.or.cz/w/guile.git some time ago).  If we
eventually feel the need to import the other modules, we can do it and
have the Savannah folks let us store them in sub-directories.

We can't easily setup a `git-cvspserver' on Savannah I'm afraid, nor a
bidirectional gateway, and I think the complexity of doing it would
exceed the benefit, especially now that Git has become widespread.
Thus, I think we should just leave the CVS repository as is.  Of course,
we don't want to delete it, since it contains other modules, for
instance.  What do you think?

I've already done a `git-cvsimport' of `guile-core' locally.  I now have
a complete and UTF-8-clean list of committers (a mapping from
CVS/Savannah user IDs to real names and emails).  The Git repository
takes 34 MiB vs. 52 MiB for the CVS repository.

Once we've agreed on the details, one of the Savannah admins of the
project (i.e., Neil) will have to tick the "Git repository" option in
the "Select Features" menu item of the web interface, after which I can
just push the repository online.  We'll also have to update all
references to the CVS repository.

Comments?

Thanks,
Ludovic.