Re: The Big Switch to Git

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: The Big Switch to Git
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:56:53 +0000

> Personally, I'm thinking about only importing `guile-core' for now (like
> what Han-Wen did at http://repo.or.cz/w/guile.git some time ago).  If we
> eventually feel the need to import the other modules, we can do it and
> have the Savannah folks let us store them in sub-directories.

After reviewing what others have said on this, I'm inclined to agree
with this lazy-import approach.

> We can't easily setup a `git-cvspserver' on Savannah I'm afraid, nor a
> bidirectional gateway, and I think the complexity of doing it would
> exceed the benefit, especially now that Git has become widespread.
> Thus, I think we should just leave the CVS repository as is.  Of course,
> we don't want to delete it, since it contains other modules, for
> instance.  What do you think?

Agreed.  Except that I think that we should "cvs remove" everything
that has been transferred to Git (once it is clear that the transfer
was successful).  (Because there should not be two possible sources
for the guile-core files, that can only confuse people.)

> Once we've agreed on the details, one of the Savannah admins of the
> project (i.e., Neil) will have to tick the "Git repository" option in
> the "Select Features" menu item of the web interface, after which I can
> just push the repository online.

I think I can go ahead with this at any time, can't I?  In other
words: ticking this option won't automatically do anything bad to the
existing CVS infrastructure, will it?

>  We'll also have to update all
> references to the CVS repository.

Agreed.