Re: JACAL, scm

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: JACAL, scm
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 09:33:02 -0500

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> For those translators, nobody ever brought up the issue to unify
> #f/'().  Why should a translator for elisp, which seems to be much
> closer to scheme than any of the other languages, require such a
> change in the very heart of guile?

The problem, I think, is that Tom wants the #f '() equivalency so that
guile can handle common-lispy/elisp/SCM code without much
modification.  He also wants (and I presume others do too) guile to be
able to execute elisp and guile code in the same process with the
functions closely exchanging data with each other.

It's the exchanging data part (if you want it to be as transparent as
he does) that seems like it might require a more fundamental change to
guile.  For the other languages like tcl, I don't think people have
ever really been talking about such tight, transparent interactions.

BTW, I'm not advocating we do this.  I'd just like for us to decide if
we can, what we want from guile, and that should tell us much more
about what solutions are appropriate.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu