Re: JACAL, scm

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: JACAL, scm
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 23:32:03 -0700

   From: Tom Lord <address@hidden>
   Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 02:02:58 -0700 (PDT)

   My apologies.  I understood you to mean that specific, existing
   languages, such as Tcl and Perl, compile down to Scheme.

if the right tools are there, and there is someone interested, that is
the result, it would seem logical.  personally i'm not so interested in
those languages, but one of these days (when i move again to a graphical
workstation), i'm looking forward to playing w/ the logo->scheme that's
been released.

the goal of providing mulitple syntaxes and specialized sublanguages is
already fulfilled (proof by existence of ctax).  however, well-organized
tools, design crosstalk, and ongoing code massaging to support these
implementations is low.

   The possibility of translators for those specific languages has been
   talked about on occasion, but isn't what was intended by the
   "multi-lingualism" of Guile.

then, please define "multi-lingualism" in the original context.

   You understand my position well.

well, i'm working on the crosstalk part...  hoping to goulash something
fierce.  perhaps the recent quietness is the sound of hackers hacking!

thi