Re: examples and testing

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: examples and testing
Date: 24 Jul 2001 11:01:09 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

>    From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
>
>    Hmm, I don't think we should do that.  Building the examples during
>    "make all" means that they must link against the uninstalled libguile,
>    which is not what they should demonstrate.
>
> i don't see why not.  they demonstrate exactly what needs to be done to
> use guile uninstalled, which is useful for evaluation purposes.  forcing
> people to install for evaluation is lame.

Is it?  I'd rather have people install guile into a scratch prefix,
like ~/guile-install, for evaluation purposes.  That way they have a
chance of getting add-on modules like guile-gtk to work.

I don't want to put a lot of effort into making sure that guile runs
uninstalled, only so far as we need it to build guile itself.