Re: examples and testing

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: examples and testing
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 01:25:15 -0700

   From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
   Date: 23 Jul 2001 21:01:50 +0200

   Hmm, I don't think we should do that.  Building the examples during
   "make all" means that they must link against the uninstalled libguile,
   which is not what they should demonstrate.

i don't see why not.  they demonstrate exactly what needs to be done to
use guile uninstalled, which is useful for evaluation purposes.  forcing
people to install for evaluation is lame.

   Actually, the examples are what is keeping the `stable' snapshots
   from building currently.  The snapshots are configured with a prefix
   that doesn't exist and never installed.  This results in the examples
   being linked against the system libguile from /usr/lib, which doesn't
   work.

the examples should link against the libguile in the build dir.

   The examples should not be build on "make all".  The example
   Makefiles should not be complicated by linking the example code with
   the uninstalled libguile.  They might be build and run on "make
   installcheck", using the installed Guile (that is, being careful to
   select the right `guile-config' program).

   Objections?

hmm, i didn't know about "make installcheck".  interesting.

thi