Re: examples and testing

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: examples and testing
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:31:08 +0200

> From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
> Date: 23 Jul 2001 21:01:50 +0200
>
> Martin Grabmueller <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I have just committed a set of checks and build fixes to CVS stable
> > branch, which will build the example programs on `make all' [...]
>
> Hmm, I don't think we should do that.  Building the examples during
> "make all" means that they must link against the uninstalled libguile,
> which is not what they should demonstrate.

Good point.

> The examples should not be build on "make all".  The example Makefiles
> should not be complicated by linking the example code with the
> uninstalled libguile.  They might be build and run on "make
> installcheck", using the installed Guile (that is, being careful to
> select the right `guile-config' program).

What do you mean by `being careful'? Wouldn't that just be a

  LIBS=`guile-config link`

in the Makefile.am?

> Objections?

No, it's probably better to go this route.  I have just spent a couple
of hours to get everything build and `make check' cleanly, but it does
not seem worth the trouble.

> > checks in every examples subdirectory on `make check'.  I have tried
> > to make sure that everything builds fine even without an installed
> > version of Guile (GNU stow is great!),
>
> Hmm, it does not work for me, since a old version of libguile is
> picked up accidentally.

Strange.  When does that happen?  When linking the examples?

Regards,
  'martin