Re: examples and testing

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: examples and testing
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 05:04:54 -0700

   From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
   Date: 24 Jul 2001 11:01:09 +0200

   Is it?  I'd rather have people install guile into a scratch prefix,
   like ~/guile-install, for evaluation purposes.  That way they have a
   chance of getting add-on modules like guile-gtk to work.

hmmm, i hadn't thought of that.  sounds like a reasonable approach.

   I don't want to put a lot of effort into making sure that guile runs
   uninstalled, only so far as we need it to build guile itself.

well, i figure if we take it upon ourselves to show both ways of doing
it, people will more likely use our methods than go off, invent their
own kludges, and then complain to us later.  this is simply elaboration
on the "A good extension language takes time.  We've taken that time for
you." philosophy (quoted from web page).  it's a fine aesthetic, not too
important, probably i shouldn't worry about such details.

thi