grub-devel

Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB

From: Roman Shaposhnik
Subject: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:38:01 -0800

Hi!

I was very excited to see Ubuntu 9.10 being one of the first distributions to
officially switch to GRUB v2, but there was one fly in that ointment
of happiness -- the lack of Lua scripting :-(

Browsing the archives of grub-devel reveals that Lua support was moved to
grub-extras which makes me ask these two questions:
    1. Was the decision to move Lua based exclusively on the licensing concerns?
    2. Is there any hope of ever seeing GRUB v2 + Lua in major distributions
        once they start adopting GRUB v2 as a default boot loader?

I would appreciate all the comments!

Thanks,
Roman.