grub-devel

Re: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:46:57 +0100

Am Freitag, den 13.11.2009, 00:08 -0800 schrieb Roman Shaposhnik:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:38 AM, Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:
> > First of all, there's no license problem.  We usually write our own code,
> > but
> > when we have specific reasons to import it from another project, any license
> > that is compatible with GPL (v3 and later) would be considered suitable.
>
> Aha! So the Lua license really is a red herring here..

My bad I used the wrong word, I should have said s/license/copyright/
But anyway
> > However, we only import code from external projects when there's an
> > important
> > reason to do so.  For example, we imported LZMA code because we needed the
> > best compression around, and we didn't want to reinvent the wheel.  In the
> > specific case of LUA, this compromise didn't make sense to us since we
> > already
> > had a scripting engine.
>
> ...the real reason seems to be that you don't really believe in Lua as a
> primary
> scripting language for GRUB, correct?

Why do you think Lua as a *primary* language/format/whatever for
grub.cfg would be right?
With sh grub.cfg isn't that different from any other normal config file
or even GRUB Legacy's menu.lst
Learning Lua might be not so difficult for average experienced Linux
users.
But things are moving. Not every average Linux user has now some
experience.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer