grub-devel

Re: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:01:27 +0100

Am Mittwoch, den 11.11.2009, 10:13 -0800 schrieb Roman Shaposhnik:
> Hi!
>
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 2:41 AM, Felix Zielcke <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, den 10.11.2009, 19:38 -0800 schrieb Roman Shaposhnik:
> >> Browsing the archives of grub-devel reveals that Lua support was moved to
> >> grub-extras which makes me ask these two questions:
> >>     1. Was the decision to move Lua based exclusively on the licensing
> >> concerns?
> >
> > I don't think it was exclusively only decided because of the license,
> > but this is the top reason for it.
>
> I'd appreciated knowing non-licensing reasons as well.

Uhm actually I should have written `I don't know if it was*'
and I forgot that Robert even sent a mail to this list about it:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-09/msg00424.html

> On the licensing front, though, what was an actual issue there?
> After all, Lua has a respectable FOSS license and I'm sure there's tons of
> MIT-licensed software in Debian. What made Lua different?

The difference is that GRUB is a GNU project and not some other random
open source package.
FSF wants to have the copyright of all code which is in GNU so that they
have the right to enforce the licences of all GNU projects in courts.

> > lua.mod IIRC was 99K big and it was always included into the floppy
> > rescue images.
>
> 99K doesn't seem to be a lot compared to other auxiliary modules I find
> in /boot/grub on my Ubuntu.

> To some extent, that's exactly the reason of my frustration -- saving 99K
> on a partition full of all sorts of stuff hardly justifies withholding a
> useful
> feature. Don't take it the wrong way, though, this frustration is totally
> misplaced on grub-devel, but to some extent had Lua module been part
> of the core GRUB v2 I'm pretty sure distribution maintainers wouldn't have
> thrown it out.

Well another solution would be if you can convince lua developers to
assign copyright to the FSF for all the code we need to have in GRUB in
order to support it.
But before you go this route please talk with Robert if he's willing to
reintrage it after assigned copyright. Not that you waste your time.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer