grub-devel

Re: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:54:02 +0100

Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:38 AM, Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> First of all, there's no license problem.  We usually write our own code, but
>> when we have specific reasons to import it from another project, any license
>> that is compatible with GPL (v3 and later) would be considered suitable.
>>

> Aha! So the Lua license really is a red herring here..

We already explained the reasons. Grub-extras is for code which is for
imported code ehich doesn't need to reside in main trunk to be
functional. ZFS is a similar case. On the other hand LZMA needs to be in
main trunk. Occasionally exceptions may occur but it doesn't discard
general rule.
>> However, we only import code from external projects when there's an important
>> reason to do so.  For example, we imported LZMA code because we needed the
>> best compression around, and we didn't want to reinvent the wheel.  In the
>> specific case of LUA, this compromise didn't make sense to us since we
>> already
>> had a scripting engine.
>>

> ...the real reason seems to be that you don't really believe in Lua as a
> primary
> scripting language for GRUB, correct?

Please don't become personal on this. Except rescue parsers all parsers
are implemented the same way and can replace one another. So what do you
mean by "primary scripting language"? If what you mean is just one being
default then no project can make default which suit all usres. It's what
configuration is for. If you speak about invested efforts then you can't
force people to spend time on something they don't want (but you can pay
one of us to do stuff you need).
> IOW, the inclusion of Lua was more of a fluke than a deliberate
> decision of investing
> in a different scripting engine.
>
> This is not a value judgment -- just an attempt to figure things out.
> Personally I'm really
> excited about Lua. I see that a lot folks share my opinion (I can't
> wait to see Lua as
> a scripting engine for NetBSD kernel, for example) and I thought that
> GRUB project
> was among these folks.

As I said you can't ask everyone to share your language preferences. But
patches are of course welcome