grub-devel

Re: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:41:46 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 10.11.2009, 19:38 -0800 schrieb Roman Shaposhnik:
> Browsing the archives of grub-devel reveals that Lua support was moved to
> grub-extras which makes me ask these two questions:
>     1. Was the decision to move Lua based exclusively on the licensing
> concerns?

I don't think it was exclusively only decided because of the license,
but this is the top reason for it. License alone is the only reason why
grub-extras has been created.
But Robert or maybe Vladimir may be able to tell you more.

>     2. Is there any hope of ever seeing GRUB v2 + Lua in major distributions
>         once they start adopting GRUB v2 as a default boot loader?

Convince the major distributions that integrating lua in their builds is
a good reason.
In Debian we still dropped lua even though we already include
grub-extras into our build system since it was created.
In our opinion lua can be useful for a small amount of persons but is
just a waste for the majority.
lua.mod IIRC was 99K big and it was always included into the floppy
rescue images.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer