grub-devel

Re: Google's Summer of Code 2008 / GRUB 2

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Google's Summer of Code 2008 / GRUB 2
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:47:36 +0200

Hi,

Vesa Jääskeläinen <address@hidden> writes:

> I am happy to announce that we have received two slots for GRUB 2
> projects as a part of GNU Project:
>
> http://code.google.com/soc/2008/gnu/about.html
>
> We want to welcome both Colin and Marco to be part of GRUB 2!

Thanks for welcoming me to the project ;-)

First of all, the code.  I think it would be a good idea if I would
send in patches for my code so it will be immediately integrated into
GRUB 2.  This would work as everyone will make sure that this code
will not be touched by anyone and patches to this will be ignored.
Otherwise I can work in a branch, my own bzr repository or whatever.
I hope I will get feedback on this :-)

As for time, this is something I mentioned to the mentors of the GNU
project.  I will start by working myself through all the USB
specifications and books I can find.  This is a *LOT* of
documentation.  Besides that, I am working on my master thesis now.
So I cannot say how much code will be produced for July, but as you
know I have no problems with working a lot and will spit out plenty of
code in July.

Related to this, I had very little time last months (this is not
related to me working on GRUB 2 as student, but as regular
developer).  I will go over the list next week, so if something is
important, please point me to it.

There are other students working on USB (for other projects), perhaps
I should contact them at some point.

If someone wants to know anything about my project, feel free to
contact me at any time!  The abstract can be found on the gsoc
website, so you can see what I will and won't do.

--
Marco