grub-devel

Re: Google's Summer of Code 2008 / GRUB 2

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Google's Summer of Code 2008 / GRUB 2
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:49:59 -0400

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 17:39 -0700, Colin D Bennett wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:00:06 +0300
> Vesa Jääskeläinen <address@hidden> wrote:
> > We want to welcome both Colin and Marco to be part of GRUB 2!
>
> Hi,
> I'm going to be working on the "Fancy Menus" feature for GRUB 2.
>
> Once I begin producing real code, I will have my Bazaar VCS
> development branch available on my web site for anyone interested, as
> well as periodic tarballs. I'll use the GRUB 2 wiki to document the
> design and implementation as things move forward.

Just in case, there is a git mirror of the repository, updated every 2
hours.  More information here: http://repo.or.cz/w/grub2.git

> Currently I am getting familiar with the GRUB codebase and design. I'm
> going to try to get GRUB 2 booting in QEMU so I can get faster feedback
> during development.

./autogen.sh && ./configure && make -j2
./grub-mkrescue --pkglibdir=. --grub-mkimage=./grub-mkimage grub.iso
qemu -cdrom grub.iso

That will make a bootable CD image using only files from the source
directory and boot it in qemu.  You may need to use the --overlay option
to grub-mkrescue to include fonts, the menu, the fancy stuff etc :-)

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin