grub-devel

Re: LVM on debian

From: Luca Capello
Subject: Re: LVM on debian
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 00:20:34 +0100

Hi all!

Maybe a bit too Debian-specific :-)

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 23:31:17 +0100, Martin Braure de Calignon wrote:
> On lun, 2008-01-07 at 23:07 +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 09:10:18PM +0100, Martin Braure de Calignon wrote:
>>> I have an lvm /usr partition. And everything works great.
>>> I only have to look on /etc/grub.d/10_linux to see what was the variable
>>> for command line option of the kernel.
>>
>> Yeah I'm afraid we lack documentation.  We could use some help on that ;-)
>
> Of course. One possible temporary solution would be to insert all
> customization variables in 10_linux and other files in /etc/default/grub
> with no value no and a simple comment over it (all the common used
> variables). I can try to do it if you want, but I've just discovered
> grub2 so it's quite risky.

Filling /etc/default/grub with all the variables empty by default (or
commented, as other files in the same dir, e.g. ifupdown) is for sure an
improvement over the current situation.

> Is it complicated to convert kopt= options in grub menu.lst to the
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX ? in postinst ?

This would work for upgrades grub -> grub2, but not for existing
installations (see Debian bug #459247 [1]).  So, yes, this can be done,
but having proper documentation (hint, `man update-grub`) would be the
best thing to do.  What's funny is that I had on my ToDo list a note to
submit a Debian bug about the same issue ;-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes: