grub-devel

Re: LVM on debian

From: Martin Braure de Calignon
Subject: Re: LVM on debian
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 11:21:43 +0100

On mar, 2008-01-08 at 10:24 +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:31:17PM +0100, Martin Braure de Calignon wrote:
> > Of course. One possible temporary solution would be to insert all
> > customization variables in 10_linux and other files in /etc/default/grub
> > with no value no and a simple comment over it (all the common used
> > variables).
>
> I don't like it.  10_linux is technicaly a config file, but it's also a
> script,
> which means it's much more likely to be updated (causing upgrade conflicts for
> those who modify it) than /etc/default/grub.
>
> Also, /etc/default/grub is provided by debian, while 10_linux is not.  We
> wouldn't want to put "GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=Debian" in 10_linux would we ?
>
> And not all variables in /etc/default/grub are meant for 10_linux.  Some are
> there for 00_header.  And even GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR is also used by 10_hurd.

Ok it makes sense to not include all the variables in /etc/default/grub
because of course, /etc/default/grub should only contains variable that
do not really depends on script. But a kernel command line
personalization should be in there. If there's no default in there with
non-valued variables, it should be documented.

> > Is it complicated to convert kopt= options in grub menu.lst to the
> > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX ? in postinst ?
>
> Maybe.  It's basicaly just some sedding, but you have to be careful to get all
> the corner cases right.  I didn't do it because I didn't consider it
> important,
> but feel free to send a patch.

Well, I think it can be important when you want grub2 to replace grub
because people don't want their computer do not boot any longer (some
options (noapictimer) missing can make my system unbootable). For now,
it's probably not urgent.
A simple
        sed '/^# kopt=/!d;s/^# kopt=//g' /boot/grub/menu.lst
gives the kernel command line
Then one could use a "echo GRUB_CMD_LINE_LINUX=$(sed '/^# kopt=/!d;s/^#
kopt=//g' /boot/grub/menu.lst) >> /etc/default/grub

It's probably not very robust, so a better transitional solution could
be to ask in debconf for experimental importing of grub1 configuration.
If not, one could also add these informations to README.Debian
I can try to do a patch for this, but I need some advices do not make
common and obvious mistakes on how manage this conversion.

> Yes, but first I need to understand better what you saw.  Does "graphical"
> mean it was in VESA mode?  You can tell that because "terminal" command would
> return "gfxterm" rather than "console".  Or does it simply mean you had a
> menu?
> When you say "with no entry", does this mean you didn't see any text
at all
> (including the messages at the top and bottom)?  Or just that there were no
> options in the menu?

I've just reinstall the default configuration files of grub2 and reboot.
What I have is a black and white screen with "GNU GRub Version 1.95",
then a menu without any entry and then the message on the bottom saying
me that I can do some commands.
Then I go in 'command mode', do a insmod lvm, then
configFile /boot/grub/grub.cfg and it works perfectly.

Cheers,
--
Martin Braure de Calignon